Sunday, January 31, 2016

Madeira Cake

I have this weather app on my phone which I have selected different places. I check the weather for North Carolina and Maine. Also, I check Edinburgh, Scotland since my Dad travels there a lot. I have Sidney on my phone since I know it is Summer there. Also, I check the weather in Florida. Well, I kept telling my husband how warm it was in Florida and he said lets go. My oldest daughter was visiting so it was fun. We went down for a couple of days. When we arrived home, it snowed. How different my children dress in Maine versus North Carolina. In Maine, my children had snow boots, snow pants, hats, etc. In North Carolina, they didn't even put on a thick jacket. Since they had no school for three days, we really didn't go anywhere even to the store.
Winter in NC for my Maine kids!
When my oldest daughter was here, I wanted to make her something for her birthday. She asked for strawberry shortcake. To be different, I made this Madeira Cake. We topped the cake with whip cream and strawberries. My daughter really liked the cake. I had to make conversions for this cake. The cake doesn't have any liquids besides the lemon juice which is different. The cake isn't very sweet and is crumbly. It tasted good but I prefer pound cake.
Madeira Cake
8 oz. butter, softened
1 cup sugar plus additional for sprinkling top
1 lemon
3 large eggs
1 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Spray a Bundt pan or a loaf pan with nonstick spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
  4. Zest the lemon and add to the butter mixture.
  5. Add one egg at a time to the butter mixture.
  6. Gently, mix in the flours.
  7. Add the juice of the lemon to the mixture.
  8. Add the batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle sugar on top.
  9. Bake the cake for 45 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  10. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson.

One year ago................................I made White Chicken Chili.
Two years ago..............................I made Pepperoni Cheese Bread.
Three years ago............................I made Hash Brown Potatoes.
Four years ago..............................I made Baby Back Ribs.
Did you already know...............
-Madeira Cake is an English sponge cake similar to pound cake. 
-Madeira Cake's name was derived as a cake to eat with Madeira wine.
-Madeira cake has no wine in it and is traditionally flavored with lemon.

I am apologizing ahead of time for not blogging in February. I have made a commitment to a family member plus I will be watching the Superbowl-Go Broncos and baking a chocolate tart! Stay warm while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment