Monday, August 3, 2015

Moroccan Zaalouk

Recently, I was having some computer issues which hopefully have been resolved. I have been making a lot of dishes which I've already blogged like: berry cobbler, creamed spinach, and snickerdoodle cookies. I have been trying some new recipes too. Yes, I have a few more Moroccan recipes. As my oldest daughter said to me, "You really do like Moroccan food, huh." Don't worry this week will be the last of the Moroccan foods for awhile. I'm moving onto making some Japanese food in a couple of weeks. Back to my Moroccan food expedition, I made some zaalouk which is a tomato and eggplant dip. I really liked this recipe. My children liked it. My husband hesitantly tried it and he even liked it. He will tell you that you can't even taste the eggplant. If you are going onto your own Moroccan food expedition, you should make this recipe. I will say this is my second favorite Moroccan recipe. My favorite recipe I will be posting later.
Zaalouk (Eggplant and Tomato dip)
1 large eggplant
4 large ripe tomato (chopped and seeded)
3 clove of garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup water
1 small wedge of lemon

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Cut the eggplant in half. Place the eggplant onto the parchment paper.
  4. Roast the eggplant for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove the eggplant from the skin.
  6. Add the eggplant to the chopped tomatoes and mash.
  7. In a medium pan, heat the eggplant, tomato, olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, and cayenne.
  8. Heat the mixture for 10 minutes while stirring and mashing the mixture. 
  9. Squeeze the eggplant with a slice of the lemon.
  10. Continue to stir and mash for another 5 minutes. 
  11. Remove from the heat and serve either hot or cold.
  12. Serve with some Moroccan bread. 
Recipe adapted from About.com

Two years ago.......................I made Italian Omelet.
Three years ago.....................I made English pancakes
Did you already know.................
-Eggplant is actually a fruit.
-Eggplants are related to tomatoes.
-Another name for eggplant is aubergine.

No comments:

Post a Comment