Monday, June 8, 2015

Khobz Moroccan bread

I didn't mean to disappear. The flu knocked me out. There really wasn't even much of a fight. One day I was feeling fine then bam! All I wanted to do was sleep. So, I did. I didn't cook. I hardly ate and I slept. My family didn't complain but just let me sleep. Since I wasn't up to cooking, my husband planned our meals which was snacks. Yes, snacking is my husband's favorite meal. Chips and dips are a meal, right? Well, I am feeling better so I figured I would try making some more Moroccan dishes. The bread alone is pretty plain tasting but it is used to be torn and dip into a side dish. I made little loafs to make it more easier for the kids.
Khobz bread
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
2 cups bread flour
1 cup semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a large cup, combine the warm water with the yeast and the sugar.
  3. Allow the yeast to proof for 5 minutes. 
  4. In a large bowl, combine the bread flour, semolina flour and salt. 
  5. Add a cup of the water mixture to the flour mixture. Mix to combine.
  6. Add a little water at a time until the dough forms a ball. The dough shouldn't be too sticky or dry.
  7. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until a soft and smooth dough forms.
  8. Place the dough into a bowl sprayed with nonstick baking spray. 
  9. Cover the dough with plastic wrap which had been sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
  10. Allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
  11. Punch down the dough and divide evenly into 6 pieces. Form the dough into disk. 
  12. Place the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheets. 
  13. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
  14. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
  15. Bake the bread for 15 minutes.
  16. Rotate the two baking sheets from high rack to the lower rack.
  17. Allow to bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  18. The bread is done when the bottom of the bread is tapped and it sounds hollow.
Recipe adapted from SBS.

One year ago............................................I made Pasta with sausage.
Two years ago..........................................I made Dulce de leche cheesecake.
Three years ago........................................I made Skillet Lasagna.
Did you already know............................
-Khobz is the Arabian word for bread.
-The bread is often used in place of utilities.
-Khobz should have a nice crust with a soft interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment