Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Thai Rice Soup Khao Tom

At the grocery store, I stood in front of the fish sauce. I knew I needed it for this recipe but I walked away. Then when I returned to the grocery store, I attempted to buy it again. I had so many thoughts going through my head like it will smell. Does my sister really eat dishes with fish sauce in it? How could it possibly make a dish better? I think I would rather buy anchovies. Then I walked away again. I couldn't do it. This dish is suppose to have fish sauce. This time I omitted it but I will keep it in the recipe just for you. See you may like fish. You may eat it on a regular basis. I avoid it. I will eat seafood just not fish. I remember my Dad taking us fishing. I remember staring at their unblinking eyes. I remember how the house smelt but most of all I remember how it tasted. So, yes I walked away.
Thai Rice Soup (Khao Tom)
8 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 large shallots, minced
1 celery, chopped fine
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups rice
1/2 lb. ground pork
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
garnish: fresh scallions chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock, ginger, celery, shallots, lemon grass, and rice.
  2. Bring to a boil and then reduce low to a simmer for 3o minutes or until the soup is a porridge like consistency.
  3. In a large skillet, brown the pork. Remove from heat and set aside.  
  4. Dischard the lemon grass. 
  5. With a slotted spoon, transport the pork from the skillet into the saucepan. Mix well.
  6. Add the cilantro, soy sauce, and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. Garnish with the scallions.
Recipe adapted from Food.com

One year ago...........................I made Breakfast Cookies.
Two years ago.........................I made World Peace Cookies.
Did you already know.........................
-Fish sauce is the extraction from salted, fermented fish. 
-It takes about six months to ferment the fish.
-In several cuisines, fish sauce is used as a condiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment