Friday, December 12, 2014

Gingerbread Cake

Often, my son likes to help me in the kitchen. Normally, we are cooking and not baking. So, I decided it would be a nice change. We decided to use the mixer. This way all he had to do was add the ingredients. Easy, right? Well, I handed him the spices. He didn't even measure them. After he added the amount he thought was appropriate, I asked him why he decided not to measure the spices. He figured it was too much work to get the measuring spoons. While I measured the flour, I asked him if we forgot any ingredients. He read over the recipe twice. He reassured me all the ingredients had been added. Then we baked this wonderful cake. The moment it came out of the oven I knew the ingredient we forgot-the baking soda. He did confirm that we didn't add any baking soda. It tasted good with the whip cream even if it was a dense and spicy cake. I am posting the correct recipe. If you make this recipe, please don't follow by our example. 
Gingerbread Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
3/4 cup hot water
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/3 cup all purpose flour
 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Grease and flour a square baking pan about 9x9x2. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, molasses, hot water, and egg.
  4. Add the baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Mix until incorporated.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  6. Bake the cake for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook.

One year ago.........................I made Bacon and Cheddar Quiche.
Two years ago.......................I made Vanilla Cookies.
Three years ago.....................I made Spiced Cranberry Punch.
Did you already know............
-In Medieval England, gingerbread meant any preserved ginger. 
-In Medieval Europe, gingerbread were served at festivals & fairs.
-During the tournaments, ladies would give their favorite knight a piece of gingerbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment