Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Caramelized Butternut Squash

From my farm share, I received so much squash that I've been trying new recipes. Yes, I will be making some kind of dish with squash for Thanksgiving this year. Also, I'm going to bake a lot of it up and freeze it so I can use it later. I normally bake squash and make it more savory. My grandmother use to boil it and then mash it like mash potatoes. When I saw this recipe on Food Network, I thought hey why not bake it sweet. Oh, this is a dessert. It is sweet and a little sticky. The kids liked it. My husband even tried a piece (I think it was more of a crumble) and he said he thought it was sweet, sweet.
Caramelized Butternut Squash
2 medium butternut squash
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Peel the squash, discard the seeds, and chop into 1/4 inch cubes.
  3. Onto a baking sheet, place the squash and toss with the melted butter.
  4. Sprinkle the brown sugar and salt. Toss to distribute.
  5. Spread the squash into a single layer.
  6. Roast the squash for 45 minutes until the squash is tender and caramelized. Toss the squash several times while roasting.
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa.
One year ago.....................................I made crab cakes.
Two years ago...................................I made minestrone soup.
Three years ago.................................I made Parker House Rolls.
Did you already know.......................
-Squash belongs to the gourd family.
-Butternut squash originated from South America.
-For over 10,000 years, humans have been eating squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment