Monday, September 29, 2014

Pork Chops with a mushroom sauce

Yesterday, my Dad called me from Oktoberfest. Yes, he went to Germany without me and called me from one of the tents. My Dad told us that he was having a beer just for us. I could hear the celebration in the background. He sounded so happy.  In celebration or Oktoberfest and my Dad's travel over to the festivities, I had to try another German dish. This dish is really good. The best part of the dish is how fast it is to make it. The roasted vegetables took longer then the dish. Since my daughter requested mashed potatoes, I made them for her. It was a nice combination. 
Jaegerschnitzel with a Mushroom Sauce
Sauce:
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium shallot
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp all purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp parsley

Pork chops:
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper 
4 pork chops with bone
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat the tsp of butter and oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the shallot and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes. 
  3. Add the chicken broth and wine. Cook for 3 minutes.
  4. Add the milk and stir. Reduce heat to low and shimmer for several minutes. 
  5. Sprinkle the flour and whisk. Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking. 
  6. Sprinkle with the paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley to taste.
  7. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer until the pork chops are throughly cooked.
  8. One a plate, combine the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper. 
  9. Dip the pork chops into the flour mixture. Shake off the extra flour.
  10. To another medium skillet, heat a tsp of olive oil and the butter over medium heat. 
  11. Add the pork chops to the skillet. Cook the pork chops on each side for at least 3 minutes.
  12. Add the pork chops to the mushroom sauce. 
  13. Cook until the internal temperatures reach at least 145 degrees F.
Recipe adapted from About Food.

One year ago.............................I made Tomato Salad.
Two years ago...........................I made Plum Cake.
Three years ago.........................I made German Red Cabbage.
Pork Chops with a tower of potatoes!
Did you already know................
-Twenty years ago, pork had 25% more saturated fat than today. 
-Pork should reach an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees F. 
-Ground pork should reach an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment