Friday, September 19, 2014

Oreo Cheesecake

My kids and my sister love Oreos. So, they really love cookies and cream ice cream. When my sister saw this recipe, she pinned it to me so I could make it for her. It came out really good. My sister was very happy. Cheesecake isn't really hard to make. It is time consuming. I did a water bath. Here is a great link to show you exactly what to do: youtube. However, I only used a little bit of water and I knew better. My cheesecake only cracked slightly. It didn't matter since I had planned to top it with whip cream and additional cookie crumbs. Anyone that loves cookies and cream plus cheesecake will love this recipe. My sister loved it and so did my daughter.
Oreo Cheesecake
Crust:
24 Oreo cookies, finely chopped (2 sleeves of the Oreo package)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
pinch of salt

Filling:
 3 (8 oz.) packages light cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup light sour cream
6 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
Garnish: miniature Oreo cookies, whip cream, and finely chopped Oreo

Directions:
Crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Line the bottom of a springform pan with parchment paper. 
  3. Spray the springform pan with nonstick baking spray. 
  4. Double line the outside of the springform pan with aluminum foil.
  5. Place the springform pan in the center of a broiler pan.
  6. In a medium bowl, combine the crushed Oreos with the melted butter and salt.
  7. Press the mixture into a springform pan. Set aside.
Filling:
  1. In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese until fluffy. 
  2. Gradually, add the sugar. Mix until incorporated. Scrap down the sides.
  3. Add one egg at a time. Mix until incorporated. Scrap down the sides before adding the next egg.
  4. Add the salt, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix until well incorporated and smooth.
  5. Gently, fold in the chopped Oreos.
  6. Pour the filling into the crust. 
  7. Carefully add hot water to the broiler pan. Make sure no water splashes onto the filling.
  8. Bake the cheesecake for 1 hour in the oven. The center should only be slightly jiggly.
  9. Shut off the oven but leave the cheesecake in the oven with the oven door only slightly ajar.
  10. Leave the the cheesecake in the shut off oven for 1 hour.
  11. Remove from the oven and refrigerate overnight before serving.
  12. Garnish the cheesecake as desired.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Pinterest.

One year ago.....................I made Stuffed Pork Chops.
Two years ago...................I made Zucchini Fries.
Did you already know.....................
- A springform pan is a cake pan with removeable sides.
-Springform pans come in many different shapes including heart shape and square. 
-A springform pan may be initially waterproof but over time the clasp may weaken so always wrap the pan if using a water bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment