Friday, August 29, 2014

Blackberry Scones

We talked the kids into picking us some blackberries. My niece gave me a sandwich bag full. Then my daughter made the mistake of handing her bag to me so I combined them. She was not happy with me but I gave her the promise of scones. Now, I know she loved the scones but my son normally isn't a muffin/scone type of guy. He kept hounding me for more. I guess he really likes blackberries. These are really good.
Blackberry Scones
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp sugar for the blackberries and additional for the top
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1¼ cups blackberries
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp heavy cream


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  3. In a small bowl, toss the blackberries and 1 Tbsp of sugar. Set aside.
  4. In a food processor, combine lemon zest, flour, ½ cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse about 5 times.
  5. Add the butter and pulse about 8-10 times until it looks like course crumbs.
  6. Add the egg, egg yolk, and milk to the flour mixture. Pulse about 10 times.
  7. Generously flour working surface.
  8. Add the dough to the flour working surface and form a ball.
  9. Using a 2½ inch round biscuit cutter, scoop some dough into the cutter to form a 1 inch scone.
  10. Repeat with the remaining dough about 3 inches apart.
  11. Brush the heavy cream on top of the scones and sprinkle with sugar.
  12. Bake the scones for about 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown.
Recipe adapted from here.  

One year ago................................I made Green beans with onions.
Two years ago..............................I made Asian Chicken Wrap.
Yes, I eat my scones with jam.
Did you already know..................
-Blackberries are also known as bramble because of the thorny stems.
-The plant of the blackberry is called the cane.
-A red blackberry will have the distinguishing white core and will not be hollow inside like a raspberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment