Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Minestrone

     After my daughter woke up, she came into my room. I said, "Welcome back."
She asked, "Huh?"
So, I said, "Welcome back from dreamland." She nods.
I ask, "How was your trip?"
She relies, "I'm tired."
I asked,"What did you do on your trip that you are so tired?"
Smiling, she replied, "I don't remember since I slept the whole time."
She is pretty clever even when she first wakes up.
     Since I had so many vegetables from my CSA share, I figured I should make some minestrone. I normally do not make soup in the summer but it was a nice change. My husband decided to make something else since all the vegetables scared him. He even asked why I put beans in it? I replied because I knew you weren't having any. The kids and I liked the soup a lot. I added the kolrobi since I have an abundance of it but you could omit it. I served it with french bread.
Minestrone
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup kolrobi, chopped
2 bay leaf
1 Tbsp thyme
4 cups chicken broth
28 oz. can plum tomatoes
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 cups zucchini, diced
2 cups shredded cabbage, shredded
1 cup pasta
1 can cannellini beans 
 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and cook for 7 minutes.
  3. Add the carrots, celery, and kolrobi. Saute for 5 minutes. 
  4. Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. 
  5. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and the water. Allow to simmer for 1 hour. 
  6. Add the potatoes, zucchini, and shredded cabbage. Cook for 20 minutes.
  7. Stir in the pasta and beans. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
  8. Stir in the Parmesan cheese before serving.
Recipe adapted from Michele Urvater. 

One year ago.............................I made Cherry Muffins.
Two years ago...........................I made Blueberry Coffee Cake.
Did you already know.....................
-The earliest forms of minestrone was made before the Roman Empire since their diet consisted mostly of vegetables. 
-The Italian word for soup is minestra, zuppa, and brodo.
-Minestrone is usually made seasonal vegetables with pasta and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment