Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Molasses Spice Cookies

Recently, my friend had surgery. I wanted to bring her something more than just flowers so I made her cookies. I knew she would like these cookies so I had to make them for her. I shared some with my sister and she said they taste like gingerbread. My daughter loved them. I mean loved them. Since there was no chocolate in them, I even shared one with our dog. He instantly became my best friend. He already was my friend but I think it brought us closer. I think it doesn't hurt that I also give him pieces of cheese, apples, and carrots (his all time favorite snack) but the cookie helped our friendship.
Molasses Spice Cookies
10 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided

Directions:
  1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the egg and molasses.
  4. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix until incorporated.
  5. Add the cooled butter and mix until incorporated.
  6. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix well. Scrap down the bowl.
  7. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix well. Scrap down the bowl.
  8. Add the remaining flour mixture.
  9. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  10. Remove the dough and form about a Tablespoon of dough into balls.
  11. Place the dough onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
  12. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
  13. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  14. Place the 1/4 cup of sugar into a small bowl.
  15. Roll each ball of dough into the sugar to coat.
  16. Flatten the balls slightly.
  17. Space the dough about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
  18. Bake the cookies for 5 minutes.
  19. Rotate and bake the cookies for another 5 minutes or until the cookies are dark golden brown.
  20. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from the Standard Baking Co. Pastries Cookbook by Alison Pray and Tara Smith. 

One year ago........................I made Peanut Butter Cup PB Cookies.
Two years ago......................I made Mahogany Cake.
Did you already know...........
-Molasses is the byproduct of the extraction of sugar from sugarcane and sugar beets.
-The Molasses Act of 1733, the British imposed a tax on all non-British imports of sugar and molasses to the colonies.
-On January 15, 1919, a large molasses storage tank collapsed in the North End of Boston creating a two story flood causing the death of 21 people and about 150 injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment