Friday, April 25, 2014

Lemon Bars

Oh Lemon Bars, how I love you. I feel sometimes I neglect you over chocolate. I'm not sure why I always want to add lemons to my drinks instead of desserts. It seems like my husband reminds me of my love for you. Maybe it is because you are so rich and divine. Maybe it is because I always think of my Mom and oldest daughter's love for lemon desserts but I promise you I will start to make more desserts with lemons.
Lemon Bars
1 cup and 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 lemon
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp lemon zest, and salt.
  5. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or forks, knives, or fingers) until the flour mixture resembles the size of peas.
  6. Press the butter mixture into the baking pan. 
  7. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
  8. Zest the remaining zest into a large bowl.
  9. Squeeze the lemon and add 3 Tbsp of lemon juice to the bowl.
  10. Add the eggs and 1 cup of sugar to the lemon juice. Whisk until foamy about 2 minutes.
  11. In a small bowl, whisk 2 Tbsp flour and the baking powder.
  12. Add the baking powder mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk until incorporated.
  13. Remove the golden crust from the oven.
  14. Carefully pour the lemony egg mixture on top of the hot crust.
  15. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the filling is set and golden.
  16. Allow the lemon bars to cool for 5 minutes.
  17. With the parchment paper, remove the bars from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving. 
Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Sweet Treats cookbook.

*I've made lemon bars before but I think I prefer this recipe better. 
 
One year ago......................................I made Softies Morning Rolls.
Two years ago....................................I made Stove Top Chili Mac.
Did you already know.........................
-An average lemon holds 3 Tbsp of juice
-In 1493, Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds to America.
-In 1849, the demand for lemons were high to the malnourished gold miners to help prevent scurvy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment