Friday, March 14, 2014

Mint Chocolate Pudding

How many of you grew up on instant pudding? I'm raising my hand too! I still buy it but I no longer have to make it since the kids willingly make it. The first time I had homemade pudding there was a fine film on top. I thought it was the grosses thing. Pudding should be silky like the ones you buy in the stores. There is no film. So, I normally will cover my homemade pudding with the plastic touching the top to prevent the film from forming. I've made this pudding recipe before and it is wonderful. It is a nice indulgent without being pretentious. Since this time of year, I think of green and mint. I noticed I tend to always making something with mint around this time of year. So, I had to make my pudding with a faint hint of mint since my husband has asked for me to tone the mint flavor down a little. Lately, I guess I have been going a little over board.
Mint Chocolate Pudding
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsp mint extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
  2. Slowly, whisk in the milk until smooth.
  3. Heat the mixture over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Lower heat if the mixture begins to bubble.
  4. Once the mixture begins to thicken, stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Lower the heat and allow the chocolate chips to melt for about 2 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat.
  7. Stir in the mint and vanilla extract.
  8. Spoon the pudding into individuals cups or a large bowl and store in the refrigerator for 2 hours. 
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

One year ago........................I made Mint cheesecake pie.
Two years ago......................I made Irish Mint Chocolate Ice Cream.
Did you already know..........
-Pudding has been around since ancient times but tended to be made with sausage.
-In the 17th century, English would boil their savory and sweet puddings in a bag.
-With the use of custard powder and cornstarch, instant puddings could be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment