Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Radish and Potato Soup

Yes, you did read the title right. I made radish and potato soup. Yes, I know I normally make a lot of sweets but I have to surprise you once in a while. I will admit radishes aren't my vegetable of choice but I received a lot of radishes lately in my CSA share. The radishes had the leaves still attached and I hadn't realized the leaves are edible. When I made the soup, the kids liked it. They even had a second bowl. Just remember, this soup is very mild but comforting. Yes, I would make it again but I probably will add some sausage to it.
Radish and Potato Soup
1 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup radish leaves
4 cups chicken broth 
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
optional garnish: thinly sliced radish

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, melt the butter.
  2. Add the onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the potato and saute for 1 minute.
  4. Stir in the radish leaves and cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add the chicken broth and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove cover and from heat. With a potato masher/Immersion Blender, mash for a few minutes.
  7. Stir in the milk. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.

One year ago................................I made Red, White, and Blue cupcakes.
Nice Photo!

Did you already know..................
-Since 700 B.C., radishes have been cultivated.
-The Ancient Egyptians and Greeks ate radishes.
-From seedling, radishes take only 30 days to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment