Friday, February 22, 2013

No Knead Bread

Have you ever read The Story of the Little Red Hen? When I cook, sometimes I feel like the little red hen. Who will help me make supper? Any volunteers? Who will help me clean up? Any volunteers? Sometimes it is better to delegate. I will admit my little ones help more in the kitchen than my oldest. Since I think it is a great skill to know, I will ask for their help. They do like to help cook so it is easy. So, I asked who wants to help me make some bread. My youngest daughter volunteered. I found this recipe awhile ago on Steamy Kitchen but just hadn't made it. She has great instructions on her blog with her four year old son demonstrating how to make this bread. She even has her son kiss the bowl good night. Well, I really thought my nine year old would give me a crazy look when I suggested this move. Nope, she just giggled and kissed it good night. The best part of making this bread was her sense of accomplishment. At supper, she told everyone that she had made the bread. It has a nice crunchy crust with a soft inside. Oh, it is very good. It does need to be started the night before but it is quick. 
No Knead Bread
1 1/2 cups warm water (around 105 degrees F)
1 package of instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp dried rosemary

Directions:
  1. In a large cup, combine the water with the yeast and 1 tsp of sugar.
  2. Allow to proof for about 5 minutes to check the yeast.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the yeast water with the flour, salt, and rosemary until the dough comes together.
  4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 12 to 20 hours.
  5. After sitting, dump the dough onto a floured surface. With greased hands, fold the ends of the dough over a few times.
  6. Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper.
  7. Lift the parchment paper with the dough in the center of it and place into a large bowl.
  8. Cover the dough and allow to rest for 2 hours.
  9. When the dough has rested for 1 hour and 30 minutes, slip an oven safe pot (Dutch oven) into the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  10. Carefully, remove the preheated pot from the oven and place the dough into the pot.
  11. Cover the pot and bake for 30 minutes.
  12. Uncover and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. The crust should be golden brown and the middle of the loaf has reached 210 degrees F.
  13. Carefully, remove the bread from the pot and allow to cool on a wired rack.
Recipe adapted from Steamy Kitchen.

One year ago..............................I made Fruit Smoothie.
Who will make the bread? I will said my youngest.
Did you already know................
-The Little Red Hen is thought to be a Russian folk lore.
-The moral of the story: if you don't help then you shouldn't be rewarded.
-The story has been used by political leaders for the economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment