Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chinese New Year

When we order take out at our local Chinese restaurant, I order chicken lo mein. It is a lot of  noodles with pieces of vegetables and chicken. I figured it couldn't be a lot of work. When I researched several recipes, they called for oyster sauce and other ingredients which wouldn't taste like the one I ordered. So, I figured I would attempt to make up a recipe. Does it taste like the one I order? No. Is it good? Yes. Does my son like it? Very much. It still gives me a nice excuse to order out once in  awhile. 
Chinese Chicken noodle dish
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 lb. Chinese noodles, Soba Noodles, or spaghetti noodles
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup snow peas
1 cup shiitake mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp rice vinegar

Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, water, cornstarch, and vegetable oil.
  2. Add the chicken and coat with the soy sauce mixture.
  3. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
  4. In a large pot, cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. 
  5. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium high heat.
  6. Add the chicken and saute for about 5 minutes.
  7. Add the snow peas, mushrooms, carrots, and celery.
  8. Drain the noodles and add the noodles to the wok.
  9. In a small bowl, combine the broth, sugar,and rice vinegar.
  10. Add the broth mixture to the noodles and heat for 5 minutes. 
  11. Season to taste. Serve hot or eat cold.
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.
One year ago..............I made Nutella Molten Lava Cake.
Did you already know.............
-The Chinese New Year is according to the lunisolar calendar.
-It is also known as the Spring Festival.
-2013 is the Year of the Snake.
I wish you a year of wisdom, wealth, and longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment