Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zucchini Fries

I'm trying to hold onto summer. Yes, it is around 40 degrees outside at night. Yes, I have been wearing sweatshirts but I am still able to wear shorts. Alright, I will admit I am only wearing shorts inside. I'm not crazy to wear shorts outside; it is too cold.
To hang onto summer a little longer, I made zucchini fries. My husband did not try them. He didn't even want to look at them. They were still too green for him even if they were breaded. I can try. The children loved them. They also love zucchini. If you just like zucchini, then you probably would really like this recipe. It was a nice change from saute zucchini or roasted like I normally make them.
Zucchini Fries
3 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 egg
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Directions:
In a bowl, whisk the egg and the milk together. Set aside.
In another bowl,  combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside next to the egg mixture.
In a skillet, heat the oil.
Dip the zucchini into the egg mixture. Tap off any excess mixture.
Press the zucchini into the bread crumb mixture. Turn the zucchini over and press again to coat both sides.
With tongs, gently add the zucchini to the skillet. 
Cook the zucchini about 4 minutes per a side or until golden brown and cooked through.

Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Did you already know...
-A zucchini is a good source of potassium.
-Another name for zucchini is courgette.
- The largest zucchini weighed 65 pounds. (Try giving that to your neighbors.)

No comments:

Post a Comment