Thursday, May 10, 2012

Adaptable recipes

Do you ever see a recipe that catches your eye but when you read the ingredients you think maybe not? When I saw the Triple Cheese Bread recipe on the back of the King Arthur flour, I thought this recipe was made for me. Then I read the ingredients and saw cottage cheese. My Mom loves cottage cheese. My sister loves cottage cheese. Even my history professor loved cottage cheese so much that she ate it every day for lunch. Why she would choose to eat the same thing every day was the bigger question? Maybe since you can't change history so why change lunch? I will never know.
As you probably guess, I am not the biggest advocate of cottage cheese. I do like ricotta cheese so I decided to adapt it to my liking. I am really glad I did since this bread was so good. I also needed something quick for supper so I decided to make the rolls into sliders. My husband and son had turkey sliders. They liked it. I prefer ham and cheese. They were good. These rolls would even had been good with roasted vegetable sliders. These rolls would be perfect for a picnic with mom.
Can you see the cheese in the bread?
Seven Cheese Bread
6 oz. warm water
1 package of yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup of five cheese Italian blend


Directions:
  1. In a cup, add the water and sugar.
  2. Add the yeast and allow to dissolve. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and butter.
  4. Add the yeast water and the cheeses.
  5. Mix until the dough comes together.
  6. Place the dough onto a clean surface that has been dusted with flour.
  7. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
  8. Whip down the large bowl and spray with cooking spray.
  9. Add the dough to the bowl and flip it.
  10. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and spray the plastic with cooking spray. Then flip the plastic over so the sprayed side is facing down towards the dough.
  11. Allow the dough to rise for about an hour. (I allowed it to rise for 5 hours and it was fine.)
  12. Punch the dough down and divide into about 12 pieces. (I made 13 pieces since I didn't want the rolls so big.)
  13. Place the dough pieces onto a sprayed cookie sheet.
  14. Allow the dough to rise for 20 minutes.
  15. Turn on the oven to 350 degrees F.
  16. Place the dough into oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the rolls are done. (I didn't want to wait so the oven had only reached 100 degrees F and I cooked the rolls for 25 minutes. They came out perfect and not doughy but I had made 13 rolls.)
  17. Serve immediately or allow to cool
 Recipe adapted from a King Arthur bread recipe.
Did you already know...
-The oldest flour company in America is King Arthur.
-The company was formed in 1790 by Henry Wood.
- Henry Wood began the business in Boston by importing flour from Europe.
-Since 1896, King Arthur flour has been domestically grown.
His smile is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment