Monday, April 9, 2012

Margaritas

This week's Project Pastry Queen's pick was Guanabana Margaritas by Shawnda of Confections of a Foodie Bride. I looked in four different stores but it isn't popular in Maine. My Dad even suggested I look in the exotic fruit section of our local store but there wasn't much there this week. I couldn't find it so I decided to use guava nectar instead. 
I will admit that I thought I had never had a guanabana before. I was wrong. Over five years ago, my Mom gave me a box of exotic fruit that she received at work. My husband would not try anything in the box but my daughter and I did. I had to look up several fruits on how to eat it. The guanabana was labeled prickly custard apple. We liked it. 
 I will admit this is the first time I have made a Margarita. I invited my favorite person and my Mom to try it with me. They both said I did a good job. My husband decided to pass since tequila isn't his drink of choice. Since I purchased Margarita glasses for this occasion, I will have to try to experiment with other Margaritas. I guess I will be checking our Shawnda's blog more often.

Guava Margaritas
1 lime
1 lemon
3/4 cups Cuervo Gold tequila
3 Tbsp Grand Marnier
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
1 (9.8 oz) guava nectar
1 cup crushed ice
coarse sea salt
lime and lemon zest spirals for garnish

Directions:
  1. Pour the salt on a small plate.
  2. Rub the edge of the Margarita glasses with a lime wedge.
  3. Dip the edge of the glasses in the course salt.
  4. Add the crushed ice to each glass.
  5. Squeeze the lime and lemon into a large cocktail shaker.
  6. Add the tequila, Grand Marnier, sugars, guava nectar, and crushed ice. 
  7. Put the top on securely.
  8. Shake, shake, shake!
  9. Pour the drinks through a stainer into each glass.
  10. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Pastry Queen. 
Tip: I purchased the Grand Marnier in nips. I didn't even use all of one nip for this recipe.
Coral is very fashionable this Spring!
 Did you already know...
- Guanabana fruit is also called soursop, prickly custard apple, and   
  Brazilian paw paw.
-The flesh and seeds are inedible.
-It tastes like a combination of a mango and a pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment