Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Banana split cake

Did your Mom make banana pudding a lot when you were growing up? It was one of my favorite desserts as a kid. I loved the pudding with bananas and cookies.
I still like the dessert but I never think to make it. When I saw this recipe, it did remind me of the childhood dessert but revised. The original recipe calls for honey grahams but I had to go with the Nilla wafers.
Banana split "cake"
1 1/2 cups Nilla wafer cookies, crushed
1/8 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 packages (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
4 bananas, sliced thinly
2 packages (3.4 oz) vanilla flavor instant pudding
2 cups cold milk
2 cups Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
2 bananas, for garnish

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the cookies, sugar, and butter.
  2. Press the cookie mixture into a 13x9 or other desired pan. 
  3. Freeze for 10 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar.
  5. Carefully, spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cookie layer.
  6. Top the cream cheese with the pineapple.
  7. Top the pineapple with the sliced bananas.
  8. Beat the pudding mixes and milk with a whisk for about two minutes.
  9. Fold in 1 cup of Cool Whip.
  10. Spread the pudding mixture on top of the banana layer.
  11. Top the pudding mixture with the remaining Cool Whip.
  12. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
  13. Before serving, top the dessert with slices of bananas.
Recipe slightly adapted from Food & Family Cookbook Best Loved: Quick & Easy Recipes page32.
Did you already know...
-Nilla wafers are made by Nabisco.
-In 2000, Kraft food acquired Nabisco. 
-Kraft food has over 100,000 employees worldwide.
-45% of the employees are women.

8 comments:

  1. Are these your original pictures? I found this recipe via a Facebook community. They attached the picture and didn't give credit (unless "nothing on this page is ours. no infringement intended!" counts...) I had to hunt for your page using Google image search.

    Here's their page in case you want to say something. I don't think they mean to be rude but none of their posts link to anyone's page or give any credit. It's bad internet etiquette if nothing else...

    It's actually posted twice so here's the album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.360860750691860.1073741832.324732720971330&type=3

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the photos on my blog are original photos and are property of Sweet Morris so thank you for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'm glad I found you then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This s my second time I make this its that good. I do cut down on the sugar and feel it doesn't need the extra sugar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the original recipe for this from Kraftrecipes.com years ago and it's always a huge hit! I adapt it a little by adding chocolate & caramel sauces on top with sprinkles and cherries, so it truly resembles a banana split. I've even thought about using a different flavor of pudding for variation but haven't tried that yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the idea of using different puddings would be great. My family really liked this recipe. I looked and Food & Family is published by Kraft. I looked at their online archives and here is the link: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/banana-split-cake-92225.aspx.

      Delete
  6. I too have had and made this recipe for years, only I use a graham cracker crust instead of the cookies for the base. At my brothers suggestion (knowing how much I like chocolate o:->) a couple of years ago I started adding a layer of mini milk chocolate chips in the middle. BINGO!

    ReplyDelete