Friday, March 23, 2012

Tennessee

Occasionally, I have to travel out of state for work. If I'm going to be gone for weeks, I will ask my family if they want to visit me. My Mom, husband, and sister have all taken me up on the offer. They are so nice to me since they will bring the kids. Two weeks is a long time to be gone without little ones.
One time, I was fortunate to visit Nashville, Tennessee. My Mom joined me at first and we toured Graceland with a friend. It was an interesting tour. Then my husband and kids later joined me. While we were there, we ate at the Neely's restaurant. Everything had barbeque sauce even the spaghetti. I happen to see this recipe on Foodnetwork and figured I would give it a try. 
We liked it. It is easier to make then my sloppy joes since I am trying to hide more vegetables in it. If you like barbeque and sloppy joes, you should try it. I always know if my husband likes it since he will eat the leftovers the next day. 

Spenser's Sloppy Joes
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper 
2 lbs. ground beef
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup barbeque sauce ( I used Jack Daniels original)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce (I used Frank's RedHot sauce)
4 hamburger buns
Desired toppings: barbeque sauce, cheddar cheese, onions, etc.

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the bell peppers and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
  3. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add the ground beef and stir. Cook for 8 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked. 
  5. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the hot sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Spoon the sloppy joes over one side of the bun and add any desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from the Neely's.
By the way, my son informed me I shouldn't take the photo with the pepper on the plate since it would make it look messy.  I know he is my food stylist but I told him it was sloppy joes and there is always some on the plate. Just so you are aware, my son wants you to know he did not approve of these photos. He is now 7 years old.

Did you already know.........
-In 1957, Elvis purchased Graceland for  around $100,000.
-Elvis had floor to ceiling carpeting in his Jungle room.
-Elvis purchased his plane Lisa Marie for around $250,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment