Monday, March 19, 2012

Rice Pilaf

I grew up on Rice-A-Roni which I like. The problem is I don't do well with high sodium products. So, I have tried several rice pilaf recipes for awhile. I have made this version several times and I keep trying to take photos of it but there is never any leftover. My family loves rice so any rice dish is gone. 
When I think of rice pilaf, there is a mix of rice with pasta. So, I had to add broken pieces of spaghetti to this recipe. I think I make this about once a month. It is a great side dish.
Rice Pilaf
1 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
 1/2 cup of uncooked spaghetti noodles, broken into 1 inch pieces
2 cups basmati-style long grain rice
3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp parsley


Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter.
  2. Add the shallot, salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the spaghetti noodles and 1 cup of the rice. 
  4. Stir and toast the noodles and rice for about 5 minutes.
  5. Add the other cup of rice, chicken broth, and bay leaf. 
  6. Cover and bring the rice to a simmer over low heat. 
  7. Cook the rice for about 15 minutes. 
  8. Remove the rice from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. 
  9. Remove the bay leaf from the rice.
  10. Add the parsley and fluff the rice with a fork.
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence.
Did you know....
-Rice-A-Roni was created by the DeDomenico family in 1958.
-The DeDomenico's family pasta plant was located in San Francisco.
-The recipe is influenced from the Armenian style rice pilaf. 
-Rice-A-Roni is a Quaker Oats brand which is owned by Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment