Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ides of March

The other day while I was cleaning, I noticed our toothbrushes seemed to be multiplying. I didn't know how this was possible but there were twice as many toothbrushes as people living in this house. (Maybe our friends are slowly moving in and we didn't realize it. First, they leave a toothbrush then next they will want a part of a closet.)
So, I called everyone to grab their toothbrush. My son comes into the bathroom and grabs 4, yes let me repeat 4, toothbrushes. I ask him why he needed so many toothbrushes especially since he is losing his teeth. He shrugged and said he just needed them. I asked him to retire two of them and he could still keep two. The question I have is where did he get the toothbrushes?
Since it is the Ides of March, I decided to make a Caesar Salad.This salad was great. All my children loved it. My husband happened to be in the kitchen when I add the anchovy so he was reluctant to have any. He did however eat the croutons and loved them. So did my son who was very disappointed that I hadn't made more.

Caesar Salad
Homemade croutons (see below)
Caesar Dressing (see below)
Romaine Lettuce
Shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Clean and dry the lettuce.
  2. Add the lettuce to a bowl.
  3. Top the lettuce with the dressing and Parmesan Cheese. Toss.
  4. Add the croutons and serve.
Homemade Croutons
1/2 loaf of Italian bread, cubed
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried parsley/oregano
salt for seasoning to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Add the cubed bread to a bowl.
  3. Top with the olive oil, garlic powder, and the oregano. Toss.
  4. Spread the cubed bread evenly onto a baking sheet.
  5. Season with salt.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes or golden brown.
Caesar Salad Dressing
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
3 cloves garlic
1 cup lite mayonnaise
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 anchovie, raw and chopped
black pepper for seasoning to taste

Directions:
  1. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
  2. Store in a sealed container until ready to use.
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats.
Did you already know.........
-Julius Caesar married three times.
-Julius Caesar was romantically involved with Cleopatra but could not married because Roman law.
-The Julian calendar was introduced by Julius Caesar and the month of July is named for him.
-Julius Caesar was born around July 12th, 100 B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment