Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rosemary French Fries

I would rather have french fries than chocolate. (My youngest daughter would disagree since nothing beats chocolate.) If I eat out with my Mom, she always shares her french fries with me if they are absent from my order. Isn't she the best? She also said she craved french fries with me. 
 Now, I know french fries are not the healthiest food out there. I don't count them as a serving of vegetables to my children. We try to limit fast food to our children. (The main reason is my son would rather I cook something that will taste good. He has told me so.) 
 Once in a great while, I will buy frozen french fries. They don't always taste the best. So, I went to one of my trusted sources and searched french fries. Sure enough, I found one and had to try it. 
 When my husband tried this recipe, he said I should always make our fries this way. I agree with him. I will never buy frozen fries again. I will probably attempt to make sweet potato fries without the rosemary. 


Rosemary French Fries
6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into even lengthwise wedges
5 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more for seasoning)
1/4 tsp pepper
11/2 Tbsp rosemary, chopped


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. 
  2. Place the potato wedges in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Cover with hot water.
  4. Allow potatoes to soak for at least 10 minutes but up to 30 minutes.
  5. Coat the bottom of a baking sheet with 4 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
  6. Sprinkle the pan with the salt, pepper, and 1 Tbps rosemary. Set aside.
  7. Drain the potatoes.
  8. Pat dry the potatoes well.
  9. Toss the potatoes with the remaining 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil and 1/2 Tbsp of rosemary.
  10. Arrange the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
  11. Cover the baking sheet with foil and bake for 5 minutes.
  12. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes.
  13. Rotate the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
  14. Flip the fries over and bake for another 5 to 15 and until golden and crisp.
  15. Remove from oven and transfer onto a paper towel lined plate. 
  16. Season with additional salt to taste. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats and originally recipe found at The New Best Recipe cookbook.
Did you already know..............
-At a White House dinner, Thomas Jefferson requested potatoes made in the French way to be served.
-Potatoes are grown in all 50 states.
-The potato was the first vegetable grown in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment