Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Coleslaw

Coleslaw is one of those foods you like a certain way. For me, I have to be in the mood for it. I like mine a little sweeter than tangy. My husband likes coleslaw a lot but he loves mayonnaise. Yes, he will eat raw cabbage but only if there is a lot of mayonnaise. 
I think the best way to have coleslaw is with barbeque or a picnic. I prefer the picnic but there is too much snow outside and I figure we will have to wait. We have held a picnic in the living room but we have a crazy dog and I think it just wouldn't be pretty. I will admit I did not shred the cabbage but I bought the coleslaw package. It is faster.
Coleslaw
1 cup of mayonnaise
2 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp celery seed plus a little more for garnish.
1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Mix the mayonnaise, sugar, cider vinegar, and celery seed in a large bowl.
  2. Add the shredded cabbage and carrots. 
  3. Toss well.
  4. Taste and if needed add a little salt and pepper.
  5. Top with additional celery seed for garnish.
  6. Chill for at least half an hour and enjoy!
Recipe from Jen of Sweet Morris.
 
Did you already know.....
-Coleslaw word is from the the Dutch word koolsla which is cabbage salad.
-The Ancient Romans prepared a similar dish with cabbage, eggs, vinegar and spices.
-Another name for coleslaw is cold slaw or slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment