Friday, December 16, 2011

Tortellini Pasta Bowl

My favorite friend brought over a tortellini kabob appetizer. It was so good. My youngest son loved it. He wanted me to make it for him. I said sure and my favorite friend gave me her recipe. She had seen it while waiting for an appointment. Since she was preparing the recipe from memory, she had to improvise.
I went out and purchased the ingredients then my husband asked what we were having for supper. I told him I was making the appetizer and some other snack kind of food. He said he was really hungry. I said I would think improvise. My son loved it. My husband was happy. I was glad since it came out well.
Tortellini Pasta Bowl

1 package of fresh tortellini
1 package Italian sausage (I used chicken sausage)
10 button mushrooms, sliced
1 pint of sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
2 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp rosemary, chopped
pinch of sugar
10 mini fresh mozzarella balls
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 bunch fresh basil, torn into pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook the pasta according to directions.
While the pasta water is heating, in a medium bowl combine the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
Add the cherry tomatoes with the mushrooms to the bowl. Set aside.
In a skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat for five minutes.
Remove the tomatoes and set in a small bowl.
Add the marinade with the mushrooms to the skillet. Mix with the sausage. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and gently incorporate. Cook for 2 minutes.
Toss in the mozzarella balls and the Parmesan cheese to the skillet. Cook for one minute.
Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes with the basil to the skillet.
Serve with additional Parmesan cheese as garnish.

Recipe from Jen of Sweet Morris with Peggy's help
Did you already know...............
-Tortellini is a ringed shaped pasta stuffed with either meat or cheese.
-Tortellini often served in sauce or broth.
-Bologna is known for its tortellini.
-Theories for the shape of the tortellini range from (the goddess of love) Venus's navel or a turtle.

Do you think the tortellini looks more like a person's navel or a turtle?
I always thought it looked more like a ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment