At Christmas time, my Dad always made Divinity. It was always one of my holiday favorites. I figured I would make it again and keep the tradition going. I also saved some to give to my Dad when I see him next. I think he will be surprised.
2 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water (on humid days use 1 Tbsp less of water)
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup broken pecans
1 cup crushed Oreos
- Stir sugar, corn syrup, and water over low heat. Continue stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Stop stirring and allow the syrup to reach 260 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- In a mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Continue beating while pouring the hot syrup in a thin stream into the egg whites.
- Add the vanilla and beat until the mixture becomes slightly dull.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Drop the mixture onto wax paper from the tip of a greased spoon.
- Let harden for about ten minutes.
- Roll the divinity into the crushed Oreos.
|My daughter's creation|
-Divinity means a deity.
-Divinity also means the state of being divine.
-The Harvard Divinity School is a school of religious and theological studies.