Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Flour Tortillas

When I was around fifteen years old, I went over to my friends house. Her mom was making tortillas. I had seen anyone make tortillas before. We ate them with butter and they were so good. 
My friend also invited me to her Quinceañera. It was beautiful. I tried to have my parents let me have a Quinceañera but they said no. I was already allowed to shave my legs and wear make up unlike my friend. 
I thought making flour tortillas would be hard. If you have a food processor, these are quick and easy. They are soft and taste better plus I can pronounce all the ingredients. I used butter but you could substitute the butter for shortening or lard. My friend's mom used lard. No wonder they were so good!

Flour Tortillas
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups to 1 cup water

Directions:
Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter to the food processor.
Pulse the mixture until crumbly. (You could use two forks to make crumbly.)
Add the water slowly while the food processor is running. 
Continue streaming in the water until the dough forms a ball.
Knead for 30 seconds. The dough should not be overly sticky if so add additional flour.
Divide the dough into twelve pieces on a floured surface. 
Roll the dough into small balls.
Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for ten minutes.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. (Do not use oils, sprays, or butter. The skillet should have nothing on it.)
Work with only one piece of dough at at time, roll the dough into circles. (Use only enough flour to keep the dough from sticking. Keep the remaining balls of dough covered.)
After forming the flat circle, add the dough to the skillet.
Cook the dough for about 10 to 20 seconds per a side. 
Repeat the process with the remaining pieces of dough.
Serve the tortillas warm, keep in the refrigerator for a week, or freeze.

Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats and originally from Confections of a Foodie Bride.

The tortillas make great quesadilla or try my enchilada pie which I'll post tomorrow.

Did you already know........
-Quinceañera is to celebrate when a girl turns 15 years old.
-Quinceañera marks when a girl becomes a young woman.
-Quinceañera begins with a Catholic mass or religious ceremony followed by a reception at another location.
-The celebration is very formal with gowns and suits.
-The young woman arrives at the party accompanies by fourteen guest of her choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment