Thursday, December 15, 2011

Enchilada Pie

Since I can make my own tortillas, I can decide the size for the tortillas. Tortillas only seem to come in two sizes at the store, really gigantic or small. For this dish, I made the tortillas to fit my circular baking dish. Isn't that cool? It probably would have taken me just as long to drive to the store to buy the tortillas than just make them. I love my food processor. 
Since it was cold out, I didn't want to go out. I had hamburger in the freezer. Cheese in the refrigerator. I cheated since I had a can of enchilada sauce. I asked my youngest daughter for an onion and garlic. She brought me 3 onions. So, I asked my son to grab me some garlic. He did and showed his sister what garlic looks like. Then he saw I had 3 onions so he ran and grabbed a pair of sunglasses. He is so thoughtful. The sunglasses were too dark to use in the house. Since I only used half an onion, I didn't cry.
Enchilada Pie

4 flour tortillas
1 lb ground hamburger
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped fine
1 garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground chili powder
1/2 cup water
1 package of shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 (10 oz.) can of enchilada sauce
salt and pepper for taste
sour cream, scallions, cheese and other desired toppings

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a medium skillet, brown the hamburger over medium heat.
  3. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic to the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes.
  4. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes.
  5. Add the water and cook for about 5 minutes.
  6. In a baking dish, add about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the dish.
  7. Add a tortilla to the dish.
  8. On top of the tortilla, add about 1/4 cup of the meat. Spread evenly over the tortilla.
  9. Cover with a handful of cheese and then top with 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce.
  10. Repeat the layer until topped with the last tortilla.
  11. On top of the last tortilla, cover with the remaining enchilada sauce and top with cheese.
  12. Bake the dish uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.
  13. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
  14. Serve with desired toppings.
Recipe from Jen of Sweet Morris
 Did you already know...........
-Jalapeño peppers range from green to fully ripen red.
-Jalapeño peppers are originally from Mexico.
-The heat of the jalapeño pepper are from the seeds.
-Jalapeño peppers are a good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and also contains traces of Vitamin E and Vitamin B plus other nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment