Since it is football season, we invited several friends over to watch the game. My husband loves chips and dips. He thinks it is a food group.So, we were at the store purchasing the necessities for our guest like chips, beer, and soda when my husband asked about making an onion dip. I said it sounded good except for chopping all the onions.On this day, my husband offered to chop up the onions for me. He informed me that he wouldn't cry since he was so tough. I didn't argue with him. If you are going to make this dip, find a tough man to chop the onions.
I will not show you any photos of whether or not my husband cried. I will assure you that I didn't cry at all. It is hard work. I have heard if you wear goggle you will not cry. My husband is too cool to wear goggles. He would rather cry.
Warning: even the tough will cry while making this dish.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 cups medium onions, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Add the onions and 1/4 tsp salt in the hot pan.
- Cook the onions until caramelized, about 18 minutes. Make sure to stir over the onions may burn.
- Remove from heat and allow the onions to cool.
- In the serving bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once the onions cool, add the onions to the sour cream bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown.
|My three tough guys|
Did you already know…………
-White pepper and black pepper are from the same berry.
-White pepper is from a fully ripe berry.
-It is milder in taste than black pepper.
-If making a white sauce or dip, use white pepper instead of black so no specks are detected.